Monday, March 29, 2010

HiHo! HiHo! - off to work I go!






Public Transportation - 1


One of the many things that makes moving traumatic is the number of changes that must be made that are not always apparent. You know...the changes you can't really prepare for... the changes that you don't even realize will be necessary...like Public Transportation.

As I prepared to move my friends attempted to encourage me by mentioning the new city's wonderful public transportation system. They talked about how clean and bright it was and the informative and pleasant workers. I can report that: Yes the system is clean and bright. Yes most of the staff are informattive and pleasant. However there is a marked difference in riding public transportation as a tourist and riding as a resident.

What my friends failed to mention --or more likely did not know-- is that there is no eating or drinking anywhere on the system--not on the cars--not on the platform-- and there is a one hundred dollar fine if they catch you.

Seriously? This will not work for me. Let me mention that eating on the way to work is how I've consumed breakfast for the pass "cabillion" years. On the go. On the train. On the bus. NOW what?! I have to eat before I leave the house? I have to ride an hour on an empty stomach? This is not good. This is not acceptable. AND this is not included in the Chamber of Commerce's "come live here" brochure.

So if you have suggestions that don't include getting up an hour earlier I'm all ears. In the meantime, I'm using my ride time to figure ways to either make another change or skirt the system.



No comments: