Friday, May 18, 2012

A Little Red in My Life...

Almost always when people get sight of my hand projects, they want to know who will receive it. Since so much work goes into them, my answer is some version of "I don't know" or "I can't give this away". This is true of  the quilt above, which I refer to as "the yellow quilt". This quilt was and is giving me trouble or should I say "lessons".
I've remade one block twice and still I couldn't get it right (notice the block way off to the left --Not only is it not quite in the picture, it has been booted out of the quilt).  I've also struggled with the  blocks lining up. The top row -- applique work -- measures fine. Three 12 inch finished blocks...perfect!. But the others range anywhere from 12 1/2 inches to 13 1/2 inches! Not so perfect!
I finally took out the Dutchman's Puzzle (first block, left, middle row) since it was the largest offender and have sworn to never, ever create another Sampler Quilt. So as you can see, there is a lot of work in creating a quilt! No wonder I often feel that I will keep them. (just in case you don't know, I hand piece and hand quilt. No brag, just want you to know... there is a LOT of WORK in creating a quilt!)   But I digress...I started by talking about not knowing who might receive the finished quilt.

Recently I was discussing with my BFF what colors she would like me to use in a quilt I'd make for her. As we were considering her color preferences (greens) she mused aloud, "maybe I should add a little red in my life". "I'm the red in your life!" I quipped. But when I returned home and began working on this, it became ever so clear to me that this was to be her quilt and that the quilt's name should be "A Little Red in My Life"!

BTW - shhhh...she doesn't know.

No comments: