Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wiser on Wednesday - Quilt Group

On Sundays I read the church's Order of Service and the bulletin insert with a fine tooth comb. This is a habit I've had for years--first at my home church of many years and a habit I continue, as I visit churches now. Both the Order of Service and the bulletin insert give a good basic idea of what a particular church community believes to be true and what they believe to be important, to not only know about, but to do...but I digress.

In the bulletin I read about a quilting group that was met on Wednesday mornings and decided I would go. So today I got up and prepared to attend ...packing something to work on, something to show and something to ask. My feet began to get a little heavy as the time to leave approached. I mean, it isn't so easy walking into any group of people period, but certainly not one that has been together and bonding for awhile. But I pushed myself and got there.

It was WONDERFUL!!

The two women present when I arrived were so excited that I came, that they began talking so fast and asking so many questions that I didn't know when to talk, answer or listen.  One woman said that in all the years they've been posting in the church's bulletin no one has ever come because of reading it! (they just use the space and most are not members of the church). They told me much about the group in very few minutes and spoke highly of the church. They are grateful that the church doesn't charge them to use the space and they make a donation to the church every year--at some event that I can't remember since they told me so much so fast.

I am wiser this Wednesday because I learned: that I didn't need to cut the quilt binding on the bias unless the quilt edge was curved; that I could repair my great aunt's quilt myself (and they were willing to show me how!); that I applique very well; that I make great points; that I have a good sense of color; that my friend in Florida is a "taskmaster," but is teaching me well. I learned more, but I don't want to bore you...just let you know how excited I am and give you a sense of how amazing the experience was!

I am so glad I went. I learned so much and was so encouraged and so welcomed. Out of all the things I've ever been glad I did, this ranks very high up there.

No comments: