Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Goldilocks and diabetes...

A few days ago I was in a discussion with my DFF who was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. I have been trying to "duck" the whole diabetes bullet myself (taking "pre" diabetes classes, using Splenda, trying to [or should I say thinking about] losing weight) So my DFF's diagnosis hit me and hurt me. For years my DFF had turned their nose up at my "rabbit food". Tolerant though, my DFF made every effort to make sure I could eat wherever we ended up...as long as they didn't have to eat the tofu burgers...you get the idea.

My DFF teased me quite often though. So imagine my surprise when my DFF started talking about brown rice and rolled oats! Was this the same person that had introduced me to "Nuts to You" with bags of Gummy Worms, Sweet and Sours and Twizzlers? It was hard. When your friends' and family's lives change so does yours. I kept forgetting and saying things like "let's go get ice cream" or "don't you want a bean pie". Mind you I didn't need the ice cream or the bean pie or food for the next month for that matter ! but habits are what they are...difficult to change!

Maybe habits are hard for me to change but for my DFF the turn around was amazing! My DFF actually eats better than me now -putting me to serious shame. (Was that really me that said "it's only rice" while I was wolfing down Popeye's red beans and rice?)

Lately though the numbers have been escalating seemingly for no apparent reason. No matter what my DFF did or didn't do ...or so it would seem...the numbers were too high one time and too low another. Both are bad. Too high and too low. Goldilocks knew what she was talking about..."too" anything is not good...it has to be just right!

What my DFF and I realize is this...it always had to be just right! Because it all counts...every little bit of food, every little bit of exercise...it all counts and it all costs.

The way I see it...it always did. Every bit of food, every bit of exercise always counted and it always cost. it was just that years ago the price to pay wasn't so immediate and the cost was not so deadly... but it always counted and it always cost. Now though the piper wants the payment up front and in cash! That little taste of chocolate anything will send your numbers through the roof...maybe it did before...but that headache, stomach, rash, etc. could be passed off or passed through...before...years ago...when youthful bodies overrode many an abuse.

The way I see it now...everyone over 15yo should act like it all counts and that it all costs now primarily because it does. We should all get in the habit of honoring and respecting our bodies ...let's consider it the "Goldilock principle" of good health... always treat your body...just right!

No comments: