Monday, February 23, 2009

On the Cusp

Generally "on the cusp" is a phrase used in astrology to signify a person born between two signs - the shared date of one astrological sign ending and another beginning. But lately I've been feeling very "on the cusp" in another way. I'm beginning to realize that there is a certain amount of schizophrenia among those of us who were born at a time when women were insisting that their roles change.

I was born on the edge, on the cusp of roles changing from hubby and housework; babies and bath water and to hubby, corporate work, babies ( maybe) and housework (well only if we couldn't get someone else to do it!)

I think this has not only affected me but many others near my age. What side of the cusp did you fall on? and can we relate to people who fell on , stayed on, never-considered-moving-from the other side? There are people my age who can't email, text, enter numbers in their cell. And then there are people who understand that women can choose, chase, chance.

The way I see it being on the cusp has made me flexible and open ( well at least to most things). I've kinda had to be. The times they were so a'changing when I was coming up and yet I noticed one day that I just won't order my coffee in the new language. I just won't. I finally know which is which when asked Venti, Grande, Tall ( what? they ran out of a foreign word for "small"?!)
But I'm just not doing it! When I want a Large that is what I'll ask for. Large medium, small... size differentiations that have not changed for centuries. But even as I write it does it make me sound old? inflexible? Is it rigid to draw the line somewhere? Gees...even if I do submit to a Venti Verona with room for cream, I can only order that in one place. The other places call it something else. So isn't it best to keep it the same? Small Medium Large. Everyone knows what that is. Everyone knows what you mean. Okay so that's it! That's my line! I may have changed from floppy disk to flashdrive; I may now email instead of snail mail; text instead of type; blog instead of journal... but I will not ask for a Venti. I will not!

No comments: