Monday, November 17, 2008

DD's birthday minus 5 - take 2

I enjoy watching my DD negotiate her life. She is beautiful, capable and strong and I really appreciate how well she speaks up. "Speaking up" is really important to me for all kinds of reasons and I mention it here and now because she didn't always. She used to shut down. She used to hold it in. ...especially if she had a different opinion than mine or if she was angry with me. I didn't want her to be like that. Not with me ...not with anyone. I wanted her to express her opinion especially in opposition with others and I wanted her to also learn to express herself well when she was angry.
It was not the easiest lesson for me to teach. Sometimes when she was angry with me I was also angry with her...not necessarily the best environment to create lesson plans! But I figured working it out with me at lleast was the "safer" environment if not the most conducive environment because I love her and have always wanted the best- better than the best- for her!So I made a point to encourage her to speak up and to stand up for herself and for her thoughts and opinions.

and now what do we have? Through a combination of DD's experiences, her own skills, her personality (and a little loving push from her mom) and we have an awesome, strong, articulate woman in any circumstance (and with any emotion!)

Happy (five days before your) Birthday!! ...I am so proud!

No comments: