Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Way I See it - waiting to exhale

My daughter mentioned lst night that she realized that she was holding her breath as she watched the returns. When she said that I realized that I was holding mine as well!
I guess I was being "cautiously optimistic" as one reporter said. Particularly since I know how things can change quite unexpectedly and quite unfairly for persons of color. So I didn't get too excited when now President Elect Barack Obama [ I soooo love saying that!] was ahead by 70 electoral votes. I didn't jump or pump or 'holla when he had 207 to McCain's 141. I didn't clap even though I know he is right for us...all of us. He is bright. He is articulate. He is informed. He cares. But right does not always get a fair hearing. So yes I was holding my breath. Yes I was waiting to exhale.
But today seeing photos like this...even with the full impact and implications yet to hit me... yes, I will exhale and jump and pump and 'holla!

No comments: