Thursday, July 5, 2012

Power Full

      On Friday, June 29, 2012, a storm whipped up seemingly out of nowhere and for about an hour that evening, it grew pretty violent and had a temper tantrum across the sky. There was thunder and lightning and lots and lots of rain and then nothing. Nothing as in darkness and void. The air conditioner shuddered, the washing machine shook, the TV winked and the lights blinked. That kind of nothing. I told my visiting niece to stay put and proceeded to gather my basket of tea lights, candles, lighters, matches and yes the flashlight from the book shelf.
    From Friday, June 29, 2012 until Wednesday, July 4, 2012, there was no power. As the hours passed, the house became warmer - read HOT, the ice tried to ward off a liquid death and the food... well, I just didn't realize how many items instruct us to "refrigerate after opening".
    I felt bad throwing it all away, but I emptied, carried, soaked and cleaned the refrigerator (you know the only time I've seen a refrigerator look better was in the Sears show room!)
   So the power returned this morning with clicks, flashes and low droning. My brain, before six in the morning, didn't initially grasp meaning of  the subtle racket. Then my brain cleared and I remembered. It was the POWER! The lights! Yes! Yes! Let there be lights! (pardon my paraphrase of Genesis) I got power! It was back! It was on!
    So what (you might want to know) did I do this Independence Day? I stayed in and reveled in the freedom of:
  • flipping a switch and getting a response
  • putting dirty clothes in the washing machine and clean clothes in the dryer
  • turning on the shower and having warm water cascade from my woolly head to my tired toes
  • having plenty to do and the "power" to do it

No comments: