Monday, August 13, 2012

Defining Home and Friendship

My friend Beth has an incredible way with words--always has. But for years she was waaay too modest about it and poo-pooed any suggestion that she should write a book, much less a blog. Her reasons and rationale were numerous. I begged. I gave ideas, feelings, responses and I-don't-know-just anything and everything I could think of to convince her, that even her letters from Iraq* were worthy reading for the masses. FINALLY, she has written a blog ("If Beth had a Blog")** and the title still makes me chuckle since I know the "back story". I have many favorite entries, but my most recent favorite is entitled "Where You Can Simply Be".  My favorite line?  "...the place where you can simply be who you are . . . without explanation, without back story, without grinding out the details of your life to explain the now of things. . ."  This is a perfect definition of home and friendship.

* Beth traveled annually to Iraq with the Christian Peacemaker Teams http://www.cpt.org/. She emailed those of us who worried about her, while she was there.
** http://ifbethhadablog.blogspot.com/2012/08/where-you-can-simply-be.html - check it out!

No comments: