Thursday, August 2, 2012

Success is...Earl Nightingale

"Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.” 
Earl Nightingale

Not many of you know that I am self -conscious. I try real hard not to be. I'm good with people I know in small gatherings or settings. Not so much in settings--especially large settings--where I know, no one.

Last night I was in a meeting and the person I was to meet wasn't there. I didn't really need them to be there--well I did sort of --but not for the purpose of the meeting-- for support, encouragement. I tried to be less...well self-conscious. I looked at people smiled at people. At the break I even moved closer to the front. I sat there I looked interested and tried to make eye contact with perfect strangers. I bolted. Maturely, professionally. But it was a "bolt" just the same. I made myself re-enter, couldn't;t see any further value in the effort and turned around and sought the safety of my car. I tried. I really did. Maybe I should return to the no-one-knows-I'm-self-conscious person I have been and just leave it alone. I mentioned it to the person I was to meet--the one who is  encouraging me on this new journey and apparently hearing the "I didn't do so well last night" tone in my voice, said  "and so you were successful." Me: quietly thinking - must have missed part of the story - but saying "successful?". "Yes. Small steps nothing of consequence was achieve overnight. Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal."

The way I see it, success is progress and progression. Progression toward a worthy goal. I like this perspective.


No comments: