Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Real Thing...

I saw a hummingbird. A real one. He (she?) flew right up to me, flew backwards, flew closer, flew left, flew closer still. Checking me out. Was he staring? I was. Mouth open. silent. Wishing I could point him out to someone. Wishing for my camera.  Taking a hundred mental pictures.
Don't go - not yet.

Until then I'd never seen one.  A real one. Photos, of course - that's how I knew what he was. Photos and National Geographic specials. Not...a real one. He was grey with blue ... was that turquoise? Didn't see the wings. Heard them though. Woaung-Woaung-Woaung-Woaung.
I sing, "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing".*

  

* "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" - Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell - http://youtu.be/svAs-6MiqxE

1 comment:

Beth said...

They're magic, aren't they?