Saturday, April 7, 2012

"D" - Day part one

"D" as in Diagnosis!!!
S
o let me just tell you that Wednesday, March 21, 2012, was the worst day. I went early to the doctor's office to discuss the results of the A1C blood test --the test that measures your sugar levels --the test that determines if you have diabetes or not. And even though the chronic disease is prevalent on both sides of my family, I wasn't too worried. For you see, I've been trying to forestall a diabetes diagnosis for years. Long ago I made changes in my diet such as: drinking water instead of juice or soda, using sweetner instead of sugar, but I digress. The doctor's office...the conversation - the short version:
Doctor: Your A1C level is 6.7. We prefer them to be 6.5 or below. So I am writing you a prescription.
Me: tears...full on sobs...shoulder shaking wails
Doctor: Oh my (hands me a tissue) After waiting a while,and when the wails turned to sniffles. Here is your prescriptions for a Glucometer, lancets and tests strips. (I take them as the doctor continues) Now, no juice or soda, sugar, corn, dairy...
Me: but I don't...but I haven't...
Doctor: (continuing, I guess she didn't hear me?) We want to see you every three months; you should get your eyes checked every year; watch your feet - if you get a cut on them come in to see us right away...words, words, words... yes it's a good idea to make the three month appointment before you leave...
Me: (I must've of said something) okay, I will. thank you. yes okay.

I left the doctor's office. I walked out the side door straight to my car, where I sat and cried for twenty minutes...

No comments: